Lamar State College - Workforce Education - Certified Medication Aide
Workforce Training/Continuing Education
Certified Medication Aide
The Medication Aide course is an introductory level course designed to provide training that will prepare the student to complete the licensing exam provided by the Texas Department of Aging
and Disability Services.
In this course a student will learn to:
- Identify the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services guidelines for non-licensed nursing personnel employed in licensed health care agencies regarding the roles and responsibilities associated with medication administration;
- Summarize the standardized drug legislation and resource references for drug pharmacodynamics;
- Define the fundamental medical abbreviations, symbols, terminology, and common equivalents required for medication administration;
- Describe the basic anatomy and physiology of each body system and the common diseases related to each system;
- Explain the actions, side effects, implications, and contraindications of commonly used drugs;
- Demonstrate procedures for accurate preparation, reporting, administration, and
- Document medications given to clients.
Begin your new Medication Aide career today!
Nurse Aide Industry Facts
- Great earning potential - salaries start at around $24,000 per year.
- High demand - there's a state-wide shortage of nurses that will continue for years to come.